Friday, September 23, 2011

My Life as a "Cultural Ambassador"

Taiwan is awesome and, in general, I think its home to some of the nicest people in the world. That being said, I have stumbled across some interesting misconceptions or just plain odd questions about myself and my country over the last month and a half.

Some of the best questions/comments I've heard:
  • If you're from America, why aren't your eyes blue?
  • Does everyone in America have a huge house and an SUV?
  • Your family only has two kids?!?! But all Americans have huge families!
  • Everyone in America wants to be a lawyer (but lawyers are professional liars)
  • Do you have a baby? 
  • First grader to Christine: Why are your boobs so big?
There is also a lot of interest in my nose ring. In fact, the reason I learned the Chinese word for nose is because children kept coming up to me, pointing at their noses, and asking me what the thing in my nose is. Unfortunately, I still don't know the actual Chinese word for nose ring and therefore often resort to pointing at my earrings and then pulling my nose ring part way out so that they can see that it is IN my nose. But curiosity abounds. This week, three of my third graders at wore sparkly pink gemstones on their noses to class just so we could all match. They were so proud of themselves when they showed up to class and pointed at their noses. It was pretty adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment