Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wufongci waterfall (五峰旗瀑布)

On Sunday Stephanie and I decided to take the commuter train up a few stops to Jioaxi, a town known for Wofongci waterfall and its hot springs. We didn't make it to the hot springs (I figure I'll save that for when its not so hot outside already), but the falls were beautiful!!!

There are thee main falls at Wofongci but it was a pretty easy hike to the top despite all the stairs. And, when we got to the top, Stephanie and I instantly agreed it was worth every step.
The lower falls. All the adorable children were
hanging out down here
The middle fall
At the middle fall, there was a kid who had brought his trumpet to provide all the onlookers with some theme music. When I arrived, he was playing 月亮代表我的心 (the Moon Represents My Heart), a really famous Chinese love song. Since our Chinese teacher during orientation decided to teach all of us that song our first week here, it has become the unofficial theme song of Fulbright Yilan. It's a definite karaoke favorite.
He also played the Pink Panther theme song, part of the score from Harry Potter, the old school Nintendo Mario theme, and My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion. Basically, this kid was my hero for the day.

Then, after narrowly avoiding a rock slide...
... and jumping a fence (everyone else was doing it, too, we swear)...
... we made it to the top!
The upper fall was absolutely breathtaking! Taiwan is truly a beautiful country and as we were sitting next to the fall getting soaked, I couldn't help but think how truly blessed I am to get to spend a year of my life here. God has definitely been good to me.
I love my life!

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you are embracing the blessing, Gabby! God has indeed been good to you!!! Am enjoying this vicariously through you!!!

    Also, catching up on you since I've been out of town with no internet. LOVE the card you sent...thank SO much for thinking of us and taking the time (money & effort) to write.

    ReplyDelete